Industry News

National Restaurant Association forecasts 2023 job growth, not major recession

Aneurin Canham-Clyne - - Restaurant Dive

The NRA predicts restaurant employment will reach about 12.4 million workers by the end of 2023, compared to roughly 12.1 million at the end of 2022 and roughly 11.4 million workers at the end of 2021. This growth is predicated on NRA projections that do not foresee a serious recession in 2023.

NBWA releases February Beer Purchasers’ Index

- National Beer Wholesalers Association

The National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA) released the Beer Purchasers' Index (BPI) for February 2023.

The February BPI shows a potential shift towards a more positive outlook for the beer industry in 2023. It's been ten months since the industry has seen an above-50 BPI and a below-50 ARI (at-risk inventory). For most of 2022, beer distributors were cautious with respect to their beer purchases. The industry recorded six out of twelve months with below 50 BPI index readings and above 50 ARI readings—indicating too much inventory in distributor warehouses. The February results reflect a BPI of 54 and an ARI of 46. After two disruptive years in 2021 and 2022, this is positive news for the beer industry.

No- and low-alcohol category tops $11B in 2022 with growth accelerating, IWSR says

Christopher Doering - - Food Dive

Once mocked, no/low-alcohol has made its mark in the beverage category, with many in the industry predicting it has long-term staying power. Beverage companies have quickly taken notice.

"The dynamic no/low-alcohol category presents opportunities for incremental sales growth as consumers are recruited from drinks categories such as soft drinks and water," said Susie Goldspink, the head of no- and low-alcohol at IWSR. "As more people opt to avoid alcohol on certain occasions – or abstain from it altogether – no-alcohol is steadily increasing its share of the no/low category."

Premium beer products were one of the top growth markets of 2022, says IWSR

- Craft Brewing Business

IWSR Drinks Market Analysis, a global leader in alcohol data and analysis, recently released preliminary 2022 data across the total beverage alcohol industry in the United States that shows all major categories — beer, cider, wine, spirits and ready-to-drink (RTDs) — posted growth across premium-plus price tiers.* While total volumes of wine (-2 percent), beer (-2 percent) and cider (-4 percent) all declined in 2022, the premium-and-above segments of each grew: wine (+6 percent), beer (+4 percent) and cider (+11 percent). Total spirits volumes were up +2 percent, with premium+ up +13 percent, while RTDs showed moderate gains at less than +1 percent with premium+ up +38 percent.

Beer Brands Focus On Sustainability To build Trust With Consumers

Mike Scott - - Forbes

We live in an age of anxiety, fuelled by the Covid-19 pandemic, surging energy prices and inflation, the war in Ukraine and the ongoing climate crisis. It is no surprise, then, that the role of brands has changed significantly in recent years.

The Huge Number of Small Breweries Creates a Beer Glut

Mike Jordan - - The Wall Street Journal

The long-building craft-beer boom is showing signs of slowing down.

Craft beer's popularity has risen nationwide for more than a decade, and breweries have become a calling card for up-and-coming neighborhoods and communities, giving residents and visitors new places to gather and enjoy a taste of their towns. But in 2023 the smallest number of new breweries in over a decade will open, the Colorado-based trade group Brewers Association predicts.


beer bottles

Our Location

One Renaissance Square
2 N. Central Avenue, Suite 1800
Phoenix, Arizona 85004

Contact Us